LAST UPDATE October 25th 2014
Who will take part in the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Austria next year? Here at ESC Daily, we follow everything throughout the year and give you updates on the nations that are on board for the biggest music contest in the world in May 2015.
Some countries have already confirmed that participation officially through a press release or statement on their website. Others have told local media that they will be there in Vienna next year. So far, 39 countries have already given an indication that they will join the party in 2015, with 38 official applications:
Countries that have officially confirmed for the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 so far, in alphabetic order:
* Albania, In December, Festivali I Kenges will once again be held as selection method for Albania.
* Austria, as the host country, Austria will have a direct place in the final next year
* Azerbaijan, on their own Eurovision website, broadcaster Ictimai is placing a lot of content about the 2015 contest, where they will be present again.
* Belarus, according to several websites, Vice Premier of the Republic of Belarus Anatoly Tozik says Belarus will return for the 60th ESC
* Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sarajevo will make their comeback to the contest, HoD Dejan Kukrić has told Klix that they have not withdrawn their initial application.
* Cyprus, the return of Cyprus to the contest has been officially announced by broadcaster CYBC.
* Denmark, DR has confirmed on their Grand Prix website that they will be back in 2015
* Estonia, it is not known if Eesti Laul will be back as the preselection show for Estonia, but they will be in Austria
* Finland, broadcaster YLE has unveiled that their preselection show UMK will take place in Fall, with the Grand Final being held in March.
* France, Eurovision has moved from France 3 to France 2 for the upcoming season.
* Germany, The German broadcaster, NDR has announced that it’ll kick off its national selection Unser Song Für Österreich for the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest on the 19th of February.
* Georgia, on September 11th 2014, Georgian broadcaster GPB announced on Facebook that they will take part.
* Greece, new broadcaster NERIT linked on their Facebook-page to the Eurovision Greece page, where Greece’s participation was made official. However, they need some help from the EBU, that has to accept the license-request by the new broadcaster.
* Hungary, there are plans for another edition of A Dal next year, András Kallay-Saunders already showed his interest in taking part.
* Iceland , RUV has called for songs for Söngvakeppninni 2015, that must be submitted before the 20th of October.
* Ireland, newspaper The Irish Times has talked to RTVE about their new plans to choose a Eurovision entry in 2015.
* Israel , The Israelian broadcaster IBA is willing to participate in Eurovision 2015. Sources within the company have confirmed this to ESC Daily. The broadcaster is planning to use HaKokhav HaBa as selection method for Vienna.
* Italy, on twitter, broadcaster RAI confirmed their participation in Vienna officially
* Lithuania , LRT has issued a call for songs in the coming weeks. Songwriters do not need to be citizens of the country, but the performers must be Lithuanian.
* FYR Macedonia, more than 50 percent of the people voting in a public poll decided Macedonia should stay in Eurovision. On November 13th during Skopje Fest, they will choose their song for 2015.
* Malta, already in November, Malta will choose their entry for ESC 2015
* Moldova, TRM will give the details of their national selection mid-October. They have officially confirmed their particpation to ESC Daily.
* Norway, broadcaster NRK has confirmed there will be another edition of Melodi Grand Prix.
* Poland, in a document you can read here from TVP to the Polish media regulator, Eurovision is listed in the programme plan for 2015.
* Portugal, Hugo Andrade from RTP gave an interview to ESCPortugal, in which he confirmed Portugal’s participation in 2015.
* Romania, TVR confirmed on their Facebook page on September 11th that they will take part in 2015.
* Russia, despite rumours that Russia would withdraw, Russia’s Channel One has confirmed
* San Marino, on the day after the deadline, San Marino officially confirmed its participation for Vienna
* Serbia, after lots of rumours finally issued a press release confirming their return to Eurovision.
* Slovenia, submitted its participation right alongside its JESC participant.
* Spain, on their special Eurovision site, TVE announced that they will be there in Austria. EBU also confirmed it on Twitter.
* Sweden, SVT has confirmed that Melodifestivalen will be back in 2015
* Switzerland, public broadcaster SRF has already announced the first details about the national selection for 2015
* The Netherlands, commentator Jan Smit of broadcaster AVROTROS has already been speculating the Dutch act for 2015, thus confirming the countries participation of next year. Broadcaster AVROTROS also told Dutch website songfestivalweblog.nl that they are planning to be there next year.
*The United Kingdom, the BBC is officially looking for songs, a special committee will select the song and act for ESC 2015.
Some websites claim to have confirmation by countries such as: Armenia, Belgium, Latvia and Montenegro. These broadcasters have not confirmed officially, but according to a message by the EBU, they appear to be on board to get 38 countries that will take part. There might be a 40th country, if apart from Greece, a country like Bulgaria or Ukraine also gets into Eurovision 2015.
There is also bad news. Ukraine has decided to withdraw from the competition, whereas former participants like Andorra, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Monaco, Slovakia and Turkey have announced that they will not return in Eurovision 2015. We will keep you informed as the pre-selection season is coming closer and there are more details known about the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Austria.