One of Malta’s popular singers is without doubt Claudia Faniello. Fans who watch the Malta Song for Europe on a yearly basis are acquainted with her songs especially with her lastest entry ‘Pure’. We decided to have a small chat with her about her music career and future plans.
1. You have been competing for the Maltese ticket to Eurovision since 2006 when you had made your first appearance with the smashing ‘High Alert!’. How important is the Eurovision Song Contest for your career?
The way I see it is that EVERY concert, gig and/or performance is important to an artist, no matter how major the event is. The Eurovision Song Contest is probably one of the biggest events organised on our island so it obviously has to be given quite a relative amount of importance, just like any other major event I perform in.
2. If you had to name one music artist or band that inspires you, whom would it be?
There are loads of artist and bands that are an inspiration for me, but if I really had to choose I’d say it would be Madonna and HIM.
3. In the last couple of years, you have dazzled the Maltese with strong performance during the National Finals. Although you have proved to be very fluent in singing different genres, we believe that you were mostly successful when interpreting ballads, especially your latest: ‘Pure’. If you are considering to re-enter the next festival, will it be another powerful ballad?
To be honest, I’m still at the point where I’m writing and listening to various stuff to choose from at a later date…
4. Did you ever consider to submit a duet with your brother Fabrizio for the Maltese National Final?
Although we have sung together on various occasions, frankly up to now I have never thought about it
5. Do you think Eurovision is the only showcase for Maltese artists?
It is probably the biggest showcase to date but definitely not the only one.
6. In 2010, you released your debut album ‘Convincingly Better’. Shall we expect another album anytime soon?
There are no plans for a release of another album as yet, but I can’t deny the fact that nonetheless songs are being written.
7. Do you follow the Eurovision Song Contest every year and which is your all time favourite winner?
No I don’t really follow it every year, but my all time favourite winner from recent events would be Serbia’s Molitva.
8. In 2002, Sahlene represented Estonia in the Eurovision Song Contest although she is of Swedish nationality. Would you ever consider representing another country instead of Malta in the Contest?
Well if Italy had to present an opportunity for me to represent them, I wonder what I’d do, being Italo-Maltese…
9. How do you feel about this year’s winning entry ‘Euphoria’?
I think this song could actually have a longer future apart from just winning the contest. Definitely a great one…
10. Did you have any favorites from this year’s Contest?
Yes Soluna Samay (Denmark) would be the one i’d say I liked most.
11. What would you say to your fans from ESCDaily?
Thanks for all the support that you give me and that I appreciate so much the fact that people encourage and believe in my work. Without fans there would be no fulfillment for the performing artists, in my opinion.
We would like to take this opportunity in wishing Claudia Faniello more future success and may we see her on the Eurovision stage very soon!