Kállay-Saunders and his band have made it safely through a brutal second quarter final in Hungary’s A Dal. The jurors surprised by sending three big names into the televoting round, and only one made it out: Ádám Szabó with his song “Together”.
Superfinalist from 2015 Mujahid Zoltán did not make it to the next round. Former The Voice-star and last year’s finalist Andi Tóth was sent home with a heartbreaking jury comment: “Real artists have more vision than this”. This is exemplary of Hungary, where the jurors are known for their blunt honesty and sometimes surprising choices.
Kállay-Saunders Band wins the show
The full results are as follows, qualifiers in bold:
- Kállay-Saunders Band – 17 (42pt)
- Gina Kanizsa – Fall like rain (42pt)
- The Peet Project – Kill your monster (4opt)
- Chase – Dust in the wind (39pt)
- Mrs Columbo – Frozen King (38pt)
- Ádám Szabó – Together (38pt, qualifies after televoting)
- Mujahid Zoltán – On my own (36pt)
- Péter Kőváry & The Royal Rebels – It’s A Riot (36pt)
- AnnaElza feat. Juli Kása – Jártam (34pt)
- Andi Tóth – I’ve got a fire (34pt)
Kállay-Saunders showed signs of emotional relief when he returned to the stage where last year his dream turned into a nightmare. His vocals were solid tonight and while the other favorites struggled, he sailed safely into the semi finals, winning this quarter final with the highest score in the competition so far.