The entries for the 2020 edition of the Icelandic national final, Söngvakeppnin have been released. The 10 competing songs have been released in a playlist on spotify which has already attracted attention. It has lead to RUV formally announcing who will be taking part in the national final on February 29th, and trying to earn the Icelandic ticket for Rotterdam. The final will take place in Laugardalshöllin and will be presented by Björg Magnúsdóttir, Benedikt Valsson and Fannar Sveinsson.
There are some returning names in the Söngvakeppnin 2020 competition. Daði Freyr previously competed when Svala won the competition with ‘Paper’. and he came 2nd He has become a huge household name in Iceland since his participation. Another returning participant is Elísabet Ormslev aka Elísabet. She last competed in 2016 with the song “Á ný”. This song was written by the eventual winner of the 2016 edition with ‘Hear them calling’ Greta Salóme. Some non-Söngvakeppnin famous names include Icelandic metal band DIMMA, Hildur Vala and. Kid Isak.
The semi finals and the acts within them are as follows:
First semifinal – February 8th
- Kid Isak – “Ævintýri” (IS)2
- Brynja Mary – “Augun þín” (IS) – “In Your Eyes” (ENG)
- DIMMA – “Almyrkvi” (IS)
- Elísabet – “Elta þig” (IS) – “Haunting” (ENG)
- Ísold & Helga – “Klukkan tifar” (IS) – “Meet Me Halfway” (ENG)
Second semifinal – February 15th
- Daði & Gagnamagnið – “Gagnamagnið” (IS) – “Think About Things” (ENG)
- Hildur Vala – “Fellibylur” (IS)
- Iva – “Oculis Videre” (IS/ENG)
- Matti Matt – “Dreyma” (IS)
- Nína – “Ekkó” (IS) – “Echo” (ENG)
As per the previous editions, there has been a 5th wildcard entry for the final, but that has not been known until the end of the 2nd semi final which will be taking place in Háskólabíó conference hall in Reykjavík and it isn’t known whether there will be one for the 2020 edition.